Saturday, August 9, 2008

Judy's Survey

Judy at patchwork times posted this survey. Here are my answers if you are interested.

1. Why do you quilt? I asked my DH this the other day. I have had 3 people make comments like “I could never do that, I’m glad its you, That’s not for me” so I asked DH, he came up with a list for me right off the top of his head. He started with “ It keeps you out of the barsJ It is relatively inexpensive(Green Light) I get visual progress, turn out something I am proud of and have my ouw thing to give me peace” WOW he understands what I never even thought about. I love that guy.

2. How long have you been quilting? 3 ½ years

3. What made you start quilting? I was taking a post graduate program and met a new best friend. When the program was coming to an end and we were studying for boards she told me she was going to teach me to quilt. I enjoyed her company so thought why not? Not really thrilled with it until I put the first group of rail fence blocks together….

4. What sewing machine do you use mostly for piecing? My mom and I went to PIQF and she bought me a Viking 775 quilter for birthday, Christmas, New Years, Valentines day….

5. What machine do you use mostly for quilting? Same Viking

6. If you could have any sewing machine you want -- money isn't an issue -- just get anything you want . . what would you get? I would like to have a LA but would be impractical, Love my Viking

7. When you buy a sewing machine, how long do you expect you'll keep it? Til a newer and bigger and better model comes out? Til the old one refuses to make another stitch? Till I get tired of this one, Love my Viking

8. On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you love your stash? (10 means you LOVE it! 1 means you'd get rid of it all today if you could!) 7over all, 10 on new stuff 5 on grandmas.

9. Why do you have the stash? How did it come about? Why is it the size that it is? My grandma died 5 years ago and I inherited her stash. She wasn’t really a quilter she just saved scraps of cheap stuff. But she always asked me to save save my scraps for her so I did. It made her happy. I got my old stuff back which was fun, and a bunch of cut up clothes (cheap, dated calico) It was all in a box in the garage when I started quilting, I pulled it out and had instant stash.Grandma was a saver so I couldn't throw it out. Then I was reading a quilting book and it talked about a stash and my eyes lit up when I found out you can buy fabric without a specific project in mind. Whooo Hooo another green light.

10. When we talk about "stashbusting", what are your thoughts? Use every crumb of the stash? Use as much stash as you add? Shop the stash first but don't feel bad if you have to go buy additional fabric for a project? Don't mind buying for a project but not buying just for the purpose of having the fabric . . with no project in mind? MY stash is getting bigger but still think I can add to it. I will still buy a yard just because I like it or my stash is a little slim on such and such. Haven’t the nerve or courage to join stashbusters yet still enjoying buying. I will go to the stash first then to the store for coordinating. I have been saving most crumbs inspired by Bonnie Hunter of quiltville. I am going to try to do the star BOM strictly from stash.

No comments: